Saturday, December 18, 2010

Questions for Grandpa

I really miss my Grandpa. It's been 10 years since he's passed away and I just can't help missing him. I'd like to eventually start Oska for driving, I think she'd be awesome at driving. I have so many questions. I have all his harnesses, although I'm not sure if they are sound for putting on an animal anymore. I've thought about now I can always use them for inspiration and patterns to create my own harness. It's not that I have never driven a horse or pony and it's not that I've never trained one to do it. I have! I still have questions and want help, and I really wish he was here.

One question is... are blinders really necessary? I understand the method of blinders, but really... it's usually in my best interest that my horse can see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done a small amount of driving - certainly not an expert. Blinders aren't necessary, I believe. I think the theory behind them is they keep the horse from being spooked by what is behind him (carriage) or by things approaching from the rear. They seem to be conventional in a lot of driving harnesses, though.

Linda said...

Wow, Alisa, good for you. I think that will be a grand adventure. Carrie (apaloosa Carrie) drives--maybe she can help you.